Monday, May 27, 2013

The Chimera!


I've been working on the Chimera lately and it took me 3-4 hours just to clip the pieces off the sprue and clean up mould lines, etc. (ya, I'm pretty slow). Here's a shot of all the parts laid out.

Initially I thought this would be pretty fast, and assumed that the arms and legs would be a fixed part of the body, and all I'd have to do is glue the 2 body halves together. It turns out there's quite a lot - 23 parts to be exact! It comes with a 2"x4" base, and there are slots on the base that you are supposed to cut through to fit the runners that the legs are attached to.

After I cut the parts and cleaned them up, I washed them...(yes, wash them with warm water and soap) to prep the surfaces for gluing. Maybe I'm nuts, but it's a carry over from putting together metal miniatures. I figure there may be some residual release agents still on the surface of the pieces. Also, washing them cleans off any dust from sanding, and oils from my hand. 


Of the 3 heads, only the bird head lacked any addtional pieces (the others had tusks/teeth). There is a small roundish nub in it's mouth which I initially thought was a miscasting, but when I looked at the box picture, the bird head on the box also had a roundish nub. It looks more like a uvula than a tongue, but hey, it's Chaos!


After gluing the body together, I was curious to see what each head would look like by themselves. The results were pretty cool; in my opinon, they resemble Manticore, Dragon, and Griffon.

The model looks much better in person than the painted versions (seems like that is always the case).

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment